There's more to improving your bench press than adding weight. Pro powerlifter Mark Bell offers some valuable pointers to help you get the most out of every bench you do.
Mark Bell is a professional powerlifter, inventor of the Slingshot… and owner of Super Training Gym in Sacramento, California. He's a strong guy whose competition achievements include a 1,025-pound squat, a 738-pound deadlift, and an 832-pound bench press. The dude knows what he's doing. So what better person to show you how to do benches the right way?
| Mark Bell's 8 Tips for a Better Bench |
1. Develop a Pre-Lift Routine
2. Use the Bar to Get Into Safe Position
3. Initiate the Lift and Make It Easy On Your Spotter
4. Take the Bar Through A "J" Path
5. Don't Overlift at the Top End
6. Experiment with Lifting Shoes
7. Four Ways to Improve Your Lockout
8. Practice Practice Practice